Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A great link to another blog - highly recommended

I received this link from someone and it is a great example of what I will be talking about in my sermon this Sunday on "From Common Ground to Holy Ground."
The link is: http://experimentaltheology.blogspot.com/2009/08/bait-and-switch-of-contemporary.html

The article talks about the problem with Christians "working on their relationship with God" and somehow thinking that doesn't affect their relationships with others. If we are going to be disciples of Jesus Christ, then we have to love God, love neighbor, and serve the world. Those three things are inseparable. So, while I think that obviously "spiritual" things like prayer, bible study, worship, etc. are necessary ways for "working on our relationship with God," if they don't lead us to loving our neighbor and serving the world, then something is wrong with our prayer, study, worship, etc.

2 comments:

  1. The apostle Paul said we must be more righteous than the Pharisees. They showed an outward, pious religious fanaticalism that was void of a true relationship with Jesus Christ. I disagree with the article in that it paints "working on my relationship with God" as a substitute for true christianity. That true relationship is true christianity. Jesus said if you love me you will keep my commandments. My relationship to Jesus Christ is the most important relationship I have. If it does not lead you to an outwart show of your faith, you do not have a relationship with Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may be misunderstanding your comment, but it seems to me that the article, you and I are all basically saying the same thing: Your relationship with God through Jesus Christ is inextricably linked with your relationship with others. I think the article considers what some modern Christians call "working on my relationship with God" to be equivalent to "an outward, pious religious fanaticism that was void of a true relationship with Jesus Christ."

    John Wesley suggested 3 "rules" for the people called Methodist: (see the following link: http://archives.umc.org/interior.asp?mid=1658 This was too long to include in the post)

    Wesley was very clear that these were NOT required for salvation, but were a guide to how we could RESPOND to our salvation. Note that these include things that relate to our love of God and things that relate to our love of neighbor.

    If you are a member of my new congregation ( which I suppose I am assuming you are) you will hear lots more about all of this and we will have an opportunity to be in relationship with one another as we became more and more faithful at following Jesus as our Lord and Savior.

    ReplyDelete