Sunday, June 28, 2009

Love in Any Language

Do you know your love language? Do you know the love language of your spouse/children/friend?
Dr. Gary Chapman helps us understand why we feel loved and how we can be better at loving intentionally. He speaks of the five love languages:
1)Words of Affirmation
2)Quality Time
3)Receiving Gifts
4)Acts of Service
5)Physical Touch

The premise is that we all have a primary and secondary love language, and if we are not loved in those languages we may not feel loved at all!

I have always had trouble figuring out my own love language. When I reread the book this time a statement jumped out at me: If your love tank is either very full or very empty, you may have trouble deciding what your love language might be. I have been blessed to always have felt loved in my family of origin and in my marriage, so I have never paid much attention to my own love language. But this book and its ideas have helped me to become better at loving others.

I would love to hear from some of you in reflecting on this.

Blessings,
Martha



For more information on the five love languages, go to Gary Chapman's website:
http://www.fivelovelanguages.com/

1 comment: